Sunday, May 11, 2008

A bad day for birds




On the right is a picture of a dead hawk in the back of a operations truck retrieved from the runway just yesterday. It had a tussle with an airplane and the airplane won. The bird activity as been high the last few weeks. After this bird strike incident I was forced to shoot for the first time a bird (top picture) that would not leave the flight path of aircraft arriving at Salt Lake International airport. This bird is called a Western Grebe. And later that night when I was performing a runway inspection I found one more dead bird that lost its fight with a commercial aircraft. These are just some of the entertaining things that I get to do while the children are home flooding the bathroom with Rozanne. Most of the time the birds stay out of the way but yesterday was just a bad day for the birds.

3 comments:

123 said...

You guys live pretty exciting lives! Killing birds, flooding bathrooms and basements, are we safe to hang around you?

Rozanne said...

Yeah, probably not. I didn't mention the two falling down the stairs incidents, either. YIKES!

Kim said...

I think that if you didn't have so much water on the runway (top picture) maybe you wouldn't attract the grebes
--Richie